All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 88  Next
  PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Coas

Favorite Coaster: Skyrush
Favorite Park: Hersheypark
Coaster Count: 64
I hope this has some good forces to it. Wild Eagle had NO G's of any kind, and it underwhelmed. I think the best part is that airtime hill, which is actually what I think wingriders should be doing- airtime hills. A Nitro-like design with winged trains? That's what I want, not more inversions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Mountain monkey

^I'm not sure how those big and heavy trains would handle repeated airtime hills, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be done as graciously as Nitro and the other Hypers do it. The weight and sheer size of the trains would kill speed rather quickly, requiring each airtime hill to be substantially shorter than the previous one if it were to bring any forces.

Speaking of forces, the amount of angular momentum caused by the weight of the seats and their passengers would put the bars keeping them in place under lots of strain when high Gs are around. While steel indeed can take a rather hefty load, there would be noticeable - possibly critical - differences between 3G and 4G, requiring parts to be replaced more often and in turn making the ride more expensive to run.

And then we haven't even touched the wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 pm

CoasterForc

Favorite Coaster: Oblivion
Favorite Park: Alton Towers
Pokemaniac wrote:
Speaking of forces, the amount of angular momentum caused by the weight of the seats and their passengers would put the bars keeping them in place under lots of strain when high Gs are around. While steel indeed can take a rather hefty load, there would be noticeable - possibly critical - differences between 3G and 4G, requiring parts to be replaced more often and in turn making the ride more expensive to run.

But that's the same on the current type of layout, no?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Mountain monkey

It was meant as a sort of response to the phrase "I hope this has some good forces to it". That would apply no matter if it were a Hyper style coaster, or a twisty looper like this seems to be. In general, I believe the structural problems we associate with high forces on regular coasters are magnified on wingriders, due to the extra-wide cars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:48 am

Matt S.R.

BackInTheMSSR
Favorite Coaster: Ravine Flyer II
Favorite Park: Silver Dollar City
Coaster Count: 157
Here are some photos from my visit to CP today. The Wicked Twister Mainway is certainly changing. And lots of dirt!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:23 am

CoasterF

Favorite Coaster: Nitro
Favorite Park: Knoebels
I <3 Dirt. It's an enthusiasts best friend next to mud.

Looks like they still have a lot of loose concrete to remove before they can prep everything in that area for footers. Still want to see Space Spiral get control demo'd, that will be neat watching it fall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:14 am

CoasterForc

Favorite Coaster: Oblivion
Favorite Park: Alton Towers
Pokemaniac wrote:
It was meant as a sort of response to the phrase "I hope this has some good forces to it". That would apply no matter if it were a Hyper style coaster, or a twisty looper like this seems to be. In general, I believe the structural problems we associate with high forces on regular coasters are magnified on wingriders, due to the extra-wide cars.

Oh I agree, but your post made it sound like a wing-rider hyper would be possible, but not worth it due to the high maintenance costs, even though it's the same principle as the non-'hyper' layouts we have currently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 am

Co

Favorite Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster
Favorite Park: Cedar Point
Coaster Count: 110
Pokemaniac wrote:

The winged design creates one hell of a moment on the beam supporting the seats. To me, this makes it very interesting to see how these kinds of trains will hold up over time. However, I don't think there will be any significant problems since this is not the first time we have seen this type of design, and not even the first installation by B&M. It seems the problems have been worked out relatively well with X/X2, and that contains moving parts. It looks like the bottom beam that supports the seats had a significant amount of design work done on it as it appears to have a high moment of inertia, and is also a very large piece of steel. It's a statics problem at it's best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:02 am

Matt S.R.

BackInTheMSSR
I'll speak from a ropes safety perspective, as that was a portion of my job over the past year.

To have a climbing rope be safe to climb for a high ropes course, our ropes were rated for a weight of at least 6,000 pounds. We of course only had people who weighed up to 300 pounds climbing, but still we could hoist two elephants on our rope if need be with no concern about tensile strength.

Extrapolate that.

Roller coaster trains are designed to experience forces way beyond their daily experience, strong enough to carry thousands of pounds that they never will. It isn't a question of roller coaster trains wearing out or falling to disrepair - the trains are designed to operate well beyond normal parameters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:26 am

CoasterFor

Favorite Coaster: Nice ones with cork
Favorite Park: Not that one.
Coaster Count: 1112
^Exactly.

Right up until some park decides to forego required inspections to save a buck. Such as perhaps expensive X-ray testing of axles? Then after enough years of neglect and wear and tear something eventually fails and a woman gets decapitated.

But that's just something that happened in Japan. Y'know. A country know for fastidious adherence to regulations and safety. Unlike perhaps Italy? A country known for laissez faire attitude about virtually everything and the home to the first B&M Wing coaster. Hopefully, that won't turn out to be a bad combination.

OBTW, I'm a pessimist, if you didn't guess.

One lift hill at a time...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:37 am

Matt S.R.

BackInTheMSSR
Rest assured - Ohio has one of the most extensive laws and inspections overseeing amusement park operation in the United States.

Tourism is the fourth largest industry for the state, and number one for Erie county. The last thing Ohio needs is for there to be an equipment failure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Matt S.R.

BackInTheMSSR
Panning back to the photos I posted, as Lance posted on Screamscape, there is now a definite gapping hole in the Wicked Twister midway. It is weird to see so much blue sky with the Space Spiral standing so seemingly vacant. DT's footprint was immense, which has drastically changed the skyline on this side of the park.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Co

Favorite Coaster: Millennium Force
Favorite Park: Holiday World
Coaster Count: 404
This looks incredible, can't wait to try it next year. And it does look like a huge empty space.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:20 pm

How firm thy friendship

Jolly Obese Man
Favorite Coaster: Boulder Dash
Coaster Count: 286
Looks weird without my boy DT in that corner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 88  Next