What's new

Universal Studios Beijing

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This was on the front page of the local papers here yesterday, which I've only just noticed as it gets dumped on my desk every morning and quickly disappears under a pile of crap.

South China Morning Post said:
Universal Studios and partner Beijing Shouhuan Cultural Tourism Investment Company have received the go-ahead from authorities to develop a US$3.3 billion theme park in the capital.

The Beijing Universal park, on a 120-hectare site in the southeastern Tongzhou district, is expected to open in 2019, according to state media.

Tom Williams, chairman and chief executive at principal developer Universal Parks and Resorts, said yesterday that Beijing Universal would probably expand to cover about 405 hectares as a resort hotel and retail and entertainment facilities were added.

The opening of the park will follow the launch next year of Walt Disney's US$5.5 billion theme park and resort complex in Shanghai's Pudong district.

Disney's partner is Shanghai Shendi Group which, like Beijing Shouhuan, is a consortium of state-owned companies.

Disney Shanghai and Beijing Universal represent a formidable new group of major domestic attractions that could help to drive theme park attendance on the mainland.

Investments in theme and amusement parks across the mainland had grown over the past five years to meet greater consumer spending on leisure activities, said market research firm IbisWorld.

It expects total domestic industry revenue to reach US$2.9 billion this year, up 9.6 per cent from last year.

A report by US professional technical services firm Aecom estimated that 59 new theme parks were being developed on the mainland.

The developments are located in two geographic clusters, northeast and southeast. Aecom said Tianjin and Beijing were at the heart of the northeast developments, while the Pearl River Delta region and Hainan were supporting rapid tourism growth in the southeast.

Aecom said theme and amusement parks in Tokyo, Hong Kong and South Korea led Asia-Pacific in terms of attendance last year. Songcheng Park in Hangzhou was the only mainland attraction to crack the regional top 10 list last year, with attendance of 4.1 million.

universalstudio-beijing-net.jpg

http://www.scmp.com/business/china-...932/universal-studios-open-theme-park-beijing

Hopefully this one fares better than the Universal parks in Dubai and Korea that never materialised. It certainly seems further ahead in the planning already though.

marc

CF Legend
I was really hoping they were going to build this Disney, tbh I've been lazy and I don't even know how far it is away lol.

I think it's great more larger well known parks are being built.

From the art work it looks good, a lot less soulless then the Orlando park.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's only concept art of course, but Disney and More have had a closer look and "identified" the possible rides/lands going in. From the concept art you get:

Incredible Hulk coaster - different theme?
Transformers
Madagascar area/ride
Jurassic Park area with boat ride
Hogwarts/Forbidden Journey/Hogsmeade
Diagon Alley/Gringotts/Kings Cross
Flight of the Hippogriff/similar small coaster
Egypt area/Revenge of the Mummy
Shrek/Far Far Away

There's also another big(ish) coaster near the Hogwarts area, possibly a single track "Dragon Challenge kind of thing? Then are a bunch of other unidentified buildings.

Yes, it's concept art, so take it with a pinch of salt, but if it's anywhere near accurate, then this should easily turn out to be Universal's best park.

unibeijing2c.jpg~original

unibeijing1b.jpg~original

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.hk/2014/10/universal-officially-announces-34b.html

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Looks like a Mack Launch in the back by the Harry Potter area.

This actually seems more elaborate than I thought!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
So it truly is the park that;s a combination of all the best elements of the other parks? Looks great.