What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Was just doing a bit of poking about on RCDB/Coast2Coaster and found out that Sri Lanka's tallest and fastest coaster has gone. RCDB lists it went in 2021 (Which is currently incorrect as I rode it in April 2022). But looking at recent satellite images it has gone.

RIP to my first ever Non-EU coaster haha

Edit: Just been diving into some old satellite images, it had gone by the end of 2022

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
Darien Lake’s Boomerang looks to be getting some work done, including new track on the loop.

boomerang-at-sf-darien-lake-getting-new-track-sections-v0-qgr5w98d2psc1.jpeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/1bwnked

Matt N

CF Legend
In case anyone wasn’t aware, it would appear that Oakwood no longer opens midweek outside of peak periods (e.g. half terms, school trip season, summer holidays): https://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/about-the-park/opening-times/

I’m not sure how much of a new development this is, but I just thought I should make people aware in case anyone was planning a trip.

I can see why they have ceased off-peak operation given how deserted the park typically is outside of summer, but as someone who’s holidaying in Pembrokeshire from 13th to 17th May and was hoping to pop in to ride the new retracked Megafobia, it is nonetheless disappointing…

If I’m not mistaken, I think Oakwood may now be one of very few parks in the UK that does this. Mid-week closures full stop are rare to nonexistent in the Merlin parks and even many of the smaller parks, so Oakwood pretty much shutting entirely on off-peak days is quite an outlier among UK parks.

Will

Strata Poster
I was very surprised by how late Oakwood was leaving it to open.
I'm going to Swansea for football on Wednesday and had considered making the detour to see how 'fobia rides these days.

Either they or LWV will be the next park to bite the dust.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Didn't really know where to post this, but it made me giggle, a lot, so had to share it for anybody who misses it.

Molly from Mammoth Club (Previously of AllEars) had a VIP tour of the Universal Studios Men In Black queueline... In the headquarters scene there's a bulletin / notice board on the way in which includes this incredible little easter egg.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 094150.jpg

Had me in stitches... That's some fantastic banter / shade throwing...

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Was just doing a bit of poking about on RCDB/Coast2Coaster and found out that Sri Lanka's tallest and fastest coaster has gone. RCDB lists it went in 2021 (Which is currently incorrect as I rode it in April 2022). But looking at recent satellite images it has gone.

RIP to my first ever Non-EU coaster haha

Edit: Just been diving into some old satellite images, it had gone by the end of 2022

No need to RIP it.
Fairly sure its just moved.
Can be seen here these days

ReeCha.jpg

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
No need to RIP it.
Fairly sure its just moved.
Can be seen here these days

Seems like they moved all their rides there. Fairly sure the transport ride seen on the photos is the one from Dream Paradise

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Momentum Leisure purchased a 6.7-hectare plot of land from Mitiska REIM to build a another theme park and water park, which will expand the Europa Centralna retail center's offerings in Gliwice, Poland (near Legendia and Energylandia). The project will become the company's fourth theme park and second water park in the country, with plans to open 10 parks in Eastern and Central Europe by 2030. Source
Both Liseberg CEO Andreas Andersen and Linnanmäki CEO Pia Adlivankin are members of the Momentum Leisure team.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Momentum Leisure purchased a 6.7-hectare plot of land from Mitiska REIM to build a another theme park and water park, which will expand the Europa Centralna retail center's offerings in Gliwice, Poland (near Legendia and Energylandia). The project will become the company's fourth theme park and second water park in the country, with plans to open 10 parks in Eastern and Central Europe by 2030. Source
Both Liseberg CEO Andreas Andersen and Linnanmäki CEO Pia Adlivankin are members of the Momentum Leisure team.
Is this a different project from Majaland Katowice that they have listed for a planned opening in 2026 on their website? It does feel a bit odd to have two major projects opening in such close proximity in the same year.

Also, on the topic of the other possible locations that are mentioned in the post, there have been some talks a year ago of a potential park springing up in Stubičke Toplice, Croatia (near the Slovenian border). I've been keeping an eye on that, but nothing more has been said of the potential developments since.

Source (in Croatian): https://www.zagorje-international.h...-zabavni-park-slicnog-nema-u-krugu-od-300-km/