What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Being really optimistic again, but out of interest, if the area was to open on the 4th April, would Charles Lindbergh be available for the public to stay in from that date, or would there be a “pre test phase” and only the coaster available for the public. Would it be possible to have the pre test phase for the last week of March or so for staff before the park opens back up for the season?

Just still torn whether to take a risk and gamble for booking flights for beginning of April as flight prices are going up. If the new area was open I would do one night in each of the themed hotels ?

UP87

Mega Poster
It's not going to be open in april. That'd be a really stupid decision as there are heavily discounted tickets available throughout april.
Regarding the sign: These values are obviously only placeholders. If I'm not mistaken there is no place in the park where these directions for the existing attractions fit.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
It's not going to be open in april. That'd be a really stupid decision as there are heavily discounted tickets available throughout april.

I agree and I disagree. The discounted tickets are a way of boosting sales, but are also a way of trying to keep the public satisfied after removing the pay once, visit twice scheme. Of course, the opening of a new area boost sales naturally, however the opening date of Rookburgh hasn't been announced yet. Notice that the discounted tickets are only for a limited time only, as advertised on their social media. Therefore, I think it would be perfectly possible and feasible to see the discounted tickets removed in a couple of weeks time, and then be followed up by an announcement of Rookburgh.

That way, you have boosted ticket sales during the off season, and then you will have a second surge of ticket sales when Rookburgh is announced, with people paying full price.

I agree that April is unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out completely, as construction is really progressing now.

As for the new screens, if Rookburgh is to open in say June, then it's perfectly easy to take F.L.Y off the new screens until it opens up, so as said above it's just for test purposes and doesn't really give any information as to when it's going to open.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I agree that April is unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out completely
I know you're just being a cheery optimist, but it's no where near ready, so I'd hate for you to buy a ticket with any hope of riding FLY this April. Personally, I'll be waiting until at least Wintertraum before returning, maybe even summer 2021. I would just hate to book tickets for a week after it opens, only for the coaster to be down suddenly. I know everyone stans Vekoma at the moment, but I'm still concerned that this new system of rotating seats may be a reliability nightmare to start with.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I know you're just being a cheery optimist, but it's no where near ready, so I'd hate for you to buy a ticket with any hope of riding FLY this April. Personally, I'll be waiting until at least Wintertraum before returning, maybe even summer 2021. I would just hate to book tickets for a week after it opens, only for the coaster to be down suddenly. I know everyone stans Vekoma at the moment, but I'm still concerned that this new system of rotating seats may be a reliability nightmare to start with.
I have an annual pass so I’ll be going a few times this season anyway (I normally go in summer and then winter as the park is so beautiful during the winter season) It’s just the flight prices are extremely high in April but if it was to open then, I would love to be there for the launch of the new themed world.

I have an amazing time every time I visit anyway, so would definitely have a great time regardless of if rookburgh was open, it’s just that I could visit during May or June instead to save on flight costs, but I’d like to be there in the first few days after the new area has opened.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I'd say they plan to open in July. Why?

The annual passes used to give it's holders 35% discount for overnight stays in the on-site hotels. This has not been continued for any annual pass since July. As they know that the fans want to stay in the new hotel as soon as possible, Phantasialand has probably decided to remove the bonus for the first time period. That's one of the reasons why I (and many of my friends) chose not to renew my annual pass.
Anyway, I am quite certain that the opening of F.L.Y. will be together with the other attraction/s in the area as well as the hotel. And the removed discount for the hotels is one strong hint for me when they plan to open.

Oh and also, there are currently no discounted tickets for the summer season.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I'd say they plan to open in July. Why?

The annual passes used to give it's holders 35% discount for overnight stays in the on-site hotels. This has not been continued for any annual pass since July. As they know that the fans want to stay in the new hotel as soon as possible, Phantasialand has probably decided to remove the bonus for the first time period. That's one of the reasons why I (and many of my friends) chose not to renew my annual pass.
Anyway, I am quite certain that the opening of F.L.Y. will be together with the other attraction/s in the area as well as the hotel. And the removed discount for the hotels is one strong hint for me when they plan to open.

That's not strictly correct though. The cut off deadline for the hotel discount is the actually 1st August, so if we are going by that logic we wouldn't see Rookburgh open until then (which by all means is possible, however I think it is likelier to be earlier than this as if they leave it til august they are missing out on half of the summer holidays)

(Off-topic but if anyone wants open dated tickets for the summer season at a reduced price, they are available for 34,50 instead of 52,50 from here: https://www.socialdeal.de/deals/ams...parkstad-amsterdam/?lang=de&c=fpd&a=ontdekken )

Last edited:

Trax

Hyper Poster
That's not strictly correct though. The cut off deadline for the hotel discount is the actually 1st August, so if we are going by that logic we wouldn't see Rookburgh open until then

Thanks for the correction, I admit i wasn't quite sure about the date.
So, my prediction is August.

luZer

Roller Poster
In my opinion it will open in the beginning of June or End of August, because we have summer holidays in between. To avoid frustrated people I guess the opening time will be before or after the holidays. During the holidays the park is full anyhow. Greeting from germany.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Is there any other park that is so, (extremely may I say) annoying in terms of providing information?
Okay, it also kinda cool that they want to create a kind of mystery around the ride but,
when you are in the last 90% of the project, and you still don't give us an indication of when it opens...

Everyone is speculating so I'll do that as well.
I don't think april is impossible, but the average pacing of this project is so slow...
They don't mind if people are missing out on F.L.Y. if they visited the park for example in april and may.
They are sure you will comeback to take a flight.
20-01-24-08-12-38.00_00_12_02.Still006-2.jpg

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Is there any other park that is so, (extremely may I say) annoying in terms of providing information?
Okay, it also kinda cool that they want to create a kind of mystery around the ride but,
when you are in the last 90% of the project, and you still don't give us an indication of when it opens...

Everyone is speculating so I'll do that as well.
I don't think april is impossible, but the average pacing of this project is so slow...
They don't mind if people are missing out on F.L.Y. if they visited the park for example in april and may.
They are sure you will comeback to take a flight.
View attachment 7755
Yes loads of parks. Take a secrecy marketing campaign style revealing pieces of information over time. And there's always enthusiasts complaining (only look at Universal forums over the recent Hagrid Coaster for a recent example).
As for announcing when it opens I feel its been covered plenty before:
an opening date announcement already would be silly. Of course they have a date but if it gets pushed back even slightly by a week or something it is negative press.
They want to make sure it will actually be finished to a high standard and ready to go for guests. Especially if people are booking the new hotel never mind just visiting for the coaster.
Its better than having loads of disappointed guests when there's a delay or technical difficulties with the prototype coaster and then needing to give refunds.
Or rushing to finish it and opening something with a disappointing finish (e.g. CanCan Coaster at EP when it first opened in 2018 - thankfully with the new 2019 theming its great now - but the initial negative response hurt them badly and caused a ****storm behind the scenes among management).
Provided nothing goes terribly wrong it will certainly be open come this summer so anyone desperate to book a trip just plan for Autumn or Winter; or just have some patience. Its been years, a couple more months won't kill anyone.
As for speculated opening I still find May or June most likely.
An April opening is not happening; after all as recently posting they are offering discounted tickets for that month. Would make sense to lure people in before opening a new big attraction. Plus with the progress being made and testing underway a May or June opening seems feasible, and Phantasialand typically have opened most attractions during this period just before the peak summer time.

EDIT: From CoasterFriends.de some additional close up views of the hotel entrance portal. Source
9596941d1580653498-202x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-charleslindbergh05.jpg

9596942d1580653498-202x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-charleslindbergh04.jpg
9596943d1580653498-202x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-charleslindbergh03.jpg
9596944d1580653498-202x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-charleslindbergh02.jpg
9596945d1580653498-202x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-charleslindbergh01.jpg

Last edited: