What's new

Is Mystic Timbers a clone or near-clone of Prowler?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Whenever enthusiasts seem to review Mystic Timbers at Kings Island, I’ve noticed that it’s often compared to Prowler at Worlds of Fun, or cited as riding incredibly similarly, and I also remember comments comparing the ride to Prowler being thrown around during its construction.

So my question is; is Mystic Timbers a clone or near-clone of Prowler, or is it merely just a similar style of ride?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd air on the side of "iteration"; both coasters share a virtually-same layout, with Mystic Timbers throwing in some trick track and a joint-bridge to span the White Water Canyon lagoon. They not clones, but they're obviously built by the same company on a development timeline.

prowler.png

MT.png

But this also isn't anything new - countless coaster companies have gone with similar iteration approach to building gradually better and better coaster selections. B&M Inverts, Floorless, and Stand-Ups; Dinn Corp. large-scale woodies, and Arrow multi-loopers all have a similar "this is a lot of copy and paste" vibe to their layouts.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ah right. Thanks @Hyde!

In terms of the sphere of woodies, is this similar to the relationship between Megafobia & Rampage, where they’re not quite clones of each other, but they share very similar layouts?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In terms of the sphere of woodies, is this similar to the relationship between Megafobia & Rampage, where they’re not quite clones of each other, but they share very similar layouts?
Would certainly track - Larry Bill designed both at CCI 2 years apart. General "bias" in design is rife with designers, and it would make sense to see similar layouts/elements in two back-to-back builds.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Lol. Someone saw my spoiler in the trip report, eh? I wouldn't call them clones but I would say....spiritual successor. Timbers is definitely inspired by Prowler.