What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, I’m loving that! Some brilliant looking airtime, looks very smooth & comfortable and on the whole, it’s looking fantastic! In particular, I thought the pacing looked phenomenal, with the trims barely activating at all!

Any new B&M hyper is fantastic as far as I’m concerned, but Candymonium looks like a particularly good one!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah that does look the dogs bollocks to be fair. Hersheypark has just gone up a couple of places on the to-do list.
I am curious about that gigantic trim brake looking type thing that Hixee mentioned though. There's another one later on after the... err... after the sideways bit, whatever that's called.
Judging by the POV, they didn't seem to have much impact on the speed of the train, so I'm not exactly worried about 'em. Just curious.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I just noticed ... this has pretty much the same layout as Orion, doesn't it? It just feels a lot longer because it does a little bit more after the helix under the first drop.

I guess that's why we are so disappointed by Orion. It's 50% taller than Candymonium, but somehow manages to feel a lot shorter.

Matt N

CF Legend
I wouldn’t say it’s exactly the same as Orion by any means. This has straight airtime hills in the main portion, whereas Orion does have a few differences (for example, the first hill is a wave turn). The turnaround is also different, and the helix is different as well, as Orion’s is more of a straight helix, while Candymonium’s does that interesting little outer bank on the exit. As you say, there is also the bit more that Candymonium does after the helix (another airtime hill, a helix and a little pop of airtime going into the brake run).

To be honest, I think most out and back B&Ms look quite similar to each other in terms of layout if you abstract the layouts enough. However, I think they all ride very differently, and I think Candymonium and Orion will certainly feel like very different experiences from on-ride. Personally, I’m quite a bit more excited for Candymonium, as it looks to have a lot more of that glorious sustained airtime that B&M does so well as well as being (or at least feeling) quite a bit longer, but Orion should be great too!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Hoping this trim isn't as noticeable compared to the ones we normally see. I don't have a problem with the train slowing down itself (unless it negatively affects the rest of the ride, which usually isn't the case), but more so the rate of deceleration. If it's quick and sudden, it's becomes more of a distraction and almost ruins the flow of the ride. If it's more gradual (and it seems like this one is the case), then it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hoping this trim isn't as noticeable compared to the ones we normally see. I don't have a problem with the train slowing down itself (unless it negatively affects the rest of the ride, which usually isn't the case), but more so the rate of deceleration. If it's quick and sudden, it's becomes more of a distraction and almost ruins the flow of the ride. If it's more gradual (and it seems like this one is the case), then it shouldn't be a huge issue.
I wish I could find [the motivation to find] a better picture, but there almost looks to be a normal trim in the normal position too:

oAqoS9c.jpg

Hopefully some better POVs/pictures pop up in the coming days as the ride opens properly as we'll get something a little easier to interpret.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but this person here has ridden it and says it is an “absolute airtime machine”, displacing Mako as his favourite B&M hyper:
Very promising! I’ve seen other reviews echoing very promising sentiments as well!

I know that among most die-hard enthusiasts, Candymonium will most likely get overshadowed by Skyrush, but I think that among most guests, it will be a massive crowd pleaser!

And dare I say it, but if I were to visit Hersheypark, I think Candymonium personally excites me more than Skyrush...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I talked to a local yesterday and he said that Candymonium is fun but nothing extraordinary. Of course, he must be spoiled having Skyrush on his backyard!

To me, the ride looks good and feels "cute" being themed to chocolate bars. One minor complain: seat belts. WHY? So many B&M hypers operate fine without them and it makes them capacity machines... Why this trend?

Lofty

CF Legend
Mako is fun... but it ain't extraordinary so I can see it being a little better. Just seems to have a little more to it.

Matt N

CF Legend
As far as B&M hypers go, I reckon this could rank pretty highly on the whole; Shambhala and Mako both seem to rank quite highly in most people’s B&M hyper rankings, and Candymonium looks very similar in style to these (probably more so to Mako than Shambhala).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, well I'm pretty sure that's not a trim running the length of the track. It looks more like wiring of some sort. I can't recall ever seeing anything like it before - how odd!

dcxs

Roller Poster
I thought it could be part of a lighting package, but it always seems connected to a trim. Btw looks slow :p

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That legit looks great! Looks like it holds its pace quite well and provides gobs of airtime!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Okay, well I'm pretty sure that's not a trim running the length of the track. It looks more like wiring of some sort. I can't recall ever seeing anything like it before - how odd!

This was my first thought as well. If that's a trim (which i feel like it is and there's 2?!) it's definitely a new one for B&M. Very strange

Pear

Strata Poster
The area looks really nice and Candymonium looks great! Excited to ride it on Sunday!

Gazza

Giga Poster
What's the difference between this and say something like Behemoth, other than that bit of sideways banking?